finally...

Tuesday, April 12, 2005

Casa Verde, Portions, AAs, Taboan, Body and Sole

Ang Sarap Kumain...

Feels great to eat. It's been a while since I've uttered those words. My old colleagues from the office have often commented how often I've declared the wonder of filling ourselves with the tastes of wonderful food. And this was just after eating cafeteria food. There is something to be said for the wonder of eating.

Sunday Lunch: AAs
After learning about how to pray in GCF Cebu, I waited for Pong to show up so we could try another sugbahan place in Cebu. I was awaiting my seafood bonanza. Since AAs was close to Waterfront where I attended church service, we headed on and shopped for our meal. Had my shrimps sauteed in garlic and one big squid grilled. Washed it down with a pitcher of frothy iced Nestea to fortify us for the pasalubong trip in Taboan. Oh, Pong had fat and fat cooked in fat (translated: pork belly full of fat, grilled with all the oil oozing out of it).

Achi requested for Rosquillos, Otap and Barquillos. Adam wanted a refill of the squid rings I had brought back from my last Cebu trip. Had purchased the first 2 in SM last week, so all that's left are the barquillos and squid rings.On to Taboan. It's a dried fish market where pasalubong can be bought at a better value. I heard about this from the PAL ticketing officer who booked my return flight. Thanks to him, we got to buy dried mangoes, etc. for a better price.

When the cab door opened, my nose told me we were in the right place. It smelled of daing - dried fish. Soon after, so did we. We made our rounds. Got 1 kilo of squid rings for php 700 (yup, it's not cheap but it really tastes great), barquillos at the first store for 55/pc, rosquillos again at 3 for 100. Some more barquillos at the last shop which gave it at 50 apiece. Since the last stall we went to seemed to have good prices, I bought some more dried mangoes. Mama loves it. Oh, bought half a kilo of siniguelas as well for 20 pesos. That's for me. Didn't know how much they usually went but I felt it was a good price. Will ask Ma when I get home. I'll be home in 2 days!

Body and Sole
After spending all that cash and imbibing the odor of Taboan. We brought our stash back to the hotel and decided to go to Body and Sole for some pampering. I bathed the stench off of me before refuelling my wallet at the nearby Metrobank. Since it was a windy day, I convinced Pong to just walk to the spa since it was like 5 minutes away on foot. Everything felt wonderful. Spa was less than 500 for 2 services! And the service was fabulous. I will surely come back for more.

Sunday dinner: Casa Verde
Heard about this good place called Casa Verde and so we took a cab to this out of the place restaurant which was an old house converted into a semi-fine dining place. Ambience was good and it was really a house so you had all these pockets of rooms where they had guests dining. I ordered the house specialty, sacrificing my love for seafood for some of the famous Hickory Baby Back Ribs. For just 98 pesos, you get a whole lot of ribs. It was good to the taste even for someone like me who wasn't too fond of meat nor anything sweet. Walking out to get a cab, we stood at the corner streets where ther was an ATM - Automated Tubig Machine. Yup it was a water dispenser. The pun got me laughing. Unfortunately, the cab arrived before I could tinker around with this ATM.

Monday: Portions
There's this inviting restaurant in Ayala Center Cebu called Portions which I've been wanting to try because, well, it looks...inviting. The facade was all black with clear glass and silver counter. Looked sleek to me. Skipped gym today since my tummy was killing me and indulged in Portions. It served Italian, my favorite. Unlike my Idea Italia experience, Portions gave me good food and great service. Was feeling cold so I got my usual serving of soup. The choice was French Onion or Soup of the Day which the server informed me was vegetable soup. I went for the healthy option clear tomato-based vegetable soup. Had half a serving of Roasted Vegetable Panini. They served it with tomato, eggplant and white cheese with a side dish of potato salad. While waiting, the server handed me a Cosmopolitan Magazine Feb 2004. I wasn't one to read these types of literature but soon after, i caught on to the articles and read each one on through dessert. I knew I had to reach dessert, thinking about which crepe to order. When i asked for the dessert menu, I saw tiramisu and was torn between that and La Pinay (Mango crepe with chocolate syrup and vanilla ice cream). Thankfully, they had no tiramisu so it was out of my hands:) Their La Pinay had some buttery taste with the mangoes. I loved it. The sweetness was just right for someone like me who did not have a sweet tooth. The portion would have been better if someone split it with me.

So after three meals and two days left in Cebu, I have gone down more of my places-to-eat list. Till the next Cebu trip.

Maybe next time I could add pictures. First i'd need a camera (or even a camera phone) and figure out how to add images to this blog.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home